Don't be fooled by this innocent looking face. He may look sweet and cuddley and adorable but he WILL keep you up all hours of the night like a screaming newborn.Welcome to my night last night. Cooper... I love you bubby, but I swear, mommy was about ready to toss you out the window.
Before I get into last night, lets cut to Tuesday night... return of the "bumpies". Cooper has a plethora of health issues (old news to anyone who knows about us and Cooper, so I'll leave it at that). The latest has been crazy looking hives ("bumpies") that cover his handsome face... it has caused multiple trips to the ER Vet ($$$$$). After the last visit, where he looked like this...
...We were told by the very nice (and flaboinantly gay) Dr. told us to give him a half tab of Benadryl every 6 hours for 3 days. It works! Crisis averted until next time. Next time being this past Tuesday, I get a frantic phone call from Aa. that the bumpies are back and that we've begun the Benadryl. (*Sidenote, what's great about Benadryl and a hyper dog... he passes out! I used this trick the night before my wedding to ensure a peaceful night's sleep for both me and the hound). Again, success!
Wednesday night.. same thing... BUMPIES! Well, we give him the Benadryl and he settles down for a cozy night in bed with mom and ANTM and L&O SVU... until he hears Aa. refilling his tupperwear container with food... he's up..... FOR THE REST OF THE NIGHT!!! We had to give him another does of Benadryl at 11:30 so we set the alarm in case we fell asleep (which we did). Alarm goes off, I'm up and giving Cooper his Nutri-Cal laced with Benadryl (Nutri-Cal is a gross gel supplement for dogs... he loves it and it makes giving him pills that much easier). I get back into bed anticpating him passing out within 20 mins but it never happens. He's up, he's walking around, he's barking, he's scratching at the door... finally at 2:30am I've reached my limit. I let him out of the bedroom, take him out, bring him back in where he proceeds to run around like a crazy man and starts barking at the sliding glass door... me? I start to cry. I'm EXHAUSTED! And I have to wake up in 2 and a half hours. I can't for the life of me figure out why the Benadryl isn't making him sleepy. I finally come to terms with the fact that my husband is dead to the world and no help to me, my dog is an ass, and I'm a crying lunatic who needs sleep. I usher Cooper back to the bedroom where he licks, plays, runs, jumps and finally falls alseep somewhere in the bedroom.
When I wake up at the ass-crack of dawn to get ready for the day I look down to see that stupid little pink pill on the carpet. Cooper was onto us... he didn't care that he had bumpies all over his gorgeous face - he refused to be drugged so he somehow bypassed the pill that was mixed with the Nutri-Cal and enjoyed a drug free midnight snack.
So... now here I am, puffy-eyed, pounding head, walking zombie while my precious little puppy is sleeping off the night's activites on his comfy cozy bed in the kitchen. Cooper -1... Kim - 0.

Hahahaha....he's such a jerk sometimes.
ReplyDelete