1) The aromas of the city streets are totally heightened in the summer making those roasted peanuts smell divine and the flowers that sit outside of the bodegas smell magnificent. HOWEVER, the subways smell wretched, and the smell of the garbage that sits on the streets permeates a little quicker with a longer lasting effect. One hones their breath-holding skills walking these streets. Not to mention the streets themselves radiate heat, so between heat coming at you from all sides and you holding your breath, you barely stand a chance.
2) The vendors are out in full force. You can get books, videos, sunglasses, bags (the pashminas are exclusive to the winter months unfortunately), perfumes, paintings and pictures... you name it, in the summer it can be bought on the street. HOWEVER, while these vendors supply an array of goodies at such a valued price, they are pushy and almost ALWAYS refuse to bargain. And these vendor tables are flooded with tourists (I won't even elaborate on that one, it deserves a spot on the list of it's very own). And of course, you always run the risk when buying a bag or the likes from a street vendor that you will run into 100 in 10 blocks who are wearing that same identical item (mom... must I remind you of the faux Burberry scarves???).
3) Bryant Park and the New York Public Library. OMGOSH! 2 of my favorite places in the city in the warm weather months... there is no denying it. It is the most perfect place to take a snack, grab your camera and people watch. The steps of the library are a great in-the-sun relaxation place and the little bistro tables in Bryant Park are perfect to catch a shady spot with a nice breeze. HOWEVER, right now, the library is under construction so everyone floods to the park making it even more crowded than normal and actually getting a seat impossible.
4) Believe it or not, the LIRR... specifically, my train home. Despite my recent move, I'm still taking the train home that I always have... the 5:09pm train to Speonk. Now that train remains my trusty (and quiet) stead Mon-Thurs. HOWEVER, come Fridays from Memorial Day thru Labor Day, all hell breaks loose. It becomes the 5:10pm train to Montauk <
5) The tourists. Gotta love 'em, but we mostly hate 'em. I love seeing a young family so excited about seeing this mecca we take for granted for the first time. And some of the photo ops I've seen are so creative it makes me wish I had my camera and the guts to say "hold it, I'd like a picture of you doing that too". HOWEVER, the 20-student tour groups from France with their yellow backpacks and wandering eyes... they can go. I don't necessarily mind that they're here, it's that they're here during rush hour staring at Macy's like it's the Goddamn Vatican. They are impossible to maneuver around because there's just so many of them and you can't say "excuse me!" because they don't speak English so they don't even know what you're saying. And they walk.... so.... slooooooooow!
With all that said, it's a city I love and a city I love to hate. What can I say, I guess I'm just a snobby, complainy, judgementaly girl from Lawn-guy-land after all.

No comments:
Post a Comment